Getting your hair done at a professional salon is always the best option. That being said, we know there are some times when it simply isn’t possible or feasible to make it there. In that case, you might be considering coloring your hair on your own, and we’re here to share some tips for creating a natural look that you won’t want to miss!
Hair Coloring Tips for a Natural Look
We all want our hair to look fantastic, and for many of us, that means adding a little bit of color. Whether you’re looking to cover up some gray or just want to add a little something extra to your look, there are plenty of ways to color your hair without looking like you’ve tried too hard.
Here are a few tips:
- Consider using multiple shades that are close to your natural color. This will give your hair added dimension and make it look more natural.
- If you’re coloring your hair at home, always follow the instructions carefully. It’s always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to hair color.
- If you’re covering up gray, remember that you may need to touch up your roots more often than if you were using a single color. This is because gray hair tends to be more resistant to color.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment! Hair color is one of the easiest ways to change up your look, so have fun with it.
Steps to Follow
The type of hair color you’re using will determine the steps you need to follow, but in general, here’s what you can expect:
- Start by shampooing your hair and then gently towel drying it until it’s only slightly damp.
- Next, put on the gloves that come with your hair color kit and mix the color according to the instructions.
- Once the color is mixed, apply it to your hair, starting at the roots and working your way down. Be sure to cover all of your hair evenly.
- Leave the color in for the amount of time specified on the box or bottle. This is usually around 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with clean, cool water until the water runs clear.
- Apply a conditioner designed for colored hair and leave it in for a few minutes before rinsing it out.
- Style your hair as usual.
Trouble-Shooting At-Home Hair Color
Let’s say you’ve followed these tips for a natural look and the directions on the package but you’re still not thrilled with the results. Here are a few things you can try:
If your hair is too dark
In this case, you can try one of two things. First, you can try shampooing your hair with a clarifying shampoo. This will help to strip away the excess color. If that doesn’t work, you can try using a color remover. This will lighten your hair back to its natural color so you can start over.
If your hair is too light
This is a common problem when people try to color their own hair at home. If your hair is too light, you can try one of two things. First, you may be able to lightly brush on some darker powder or eyeshadow along your hairline. This can help create the illusion of darker roots. Second, you can try using a temporary color spray or rinse. These products will darken your hair for a short period of time and can be easily washed out.
If your hair is the wrong color
This can happen if you don’t mix the color correctly or if you leave the color in for too long. If your hair is the wrong color, you’ll likely need to wait until it grows out or use a color remover to get rid of the unwanted hue.
If your blonde turns orange
Unfortunately, this happens a lot when people try to go blonde at home. If your blonde hair turns orange, you can try using a clarifying shampoo or color remover. You may also need to use a toner to correct the orange hue.
If your blonde looks purple
Purple is another common blonde woe. If your blonde hair looks purple, you can try using a clarifying shampoo or color remover. A toner can also help to correct the purple hue.
If your roots are too dark
If your roots are too dark, you can try using a temporary color spray or rinse in a lighter shade. These products will help to lighten your hair until you can get to the salon for a touch-up.
Preventing At-Home Hair Color Disasters
The best way to prevent an at-home hair color disaster is to be prepared. Read the instructions thoroughly before you start and be sure to mix the color correctly. It’s also important to choose a shade that’s close to your natural color. This will help to ensure that the color turns out looking natural. Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you’re not sure how to mix the color or apply it, ask a friend or family member for assistance.
Other Hair Coloring Tips You Can’t Miss
Before we go, here are a few more hair coloring tips you need to know:
- Don’t shampoo your hair for at least 48 hours after coloring it. This gives the color time to set.
- Invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner designed for colored hair. These products will help to protect your hair and keep it looking its best.
- Be sure to use a heat protectant before using any hot styling tools on your colored hair. This will help to prevent damage and keep your color looking vibrant.
- When in doubt, always consult a professional at a hair salon in West Palm Beach. If you’re not sure how to color your hair or you want to try something new, it’s best to leave it to the hair pros.
We hope these tips help you achieve the perfect at-home hair color! If you’re in need of some inspiration for your own hair color, check out these hair color trends for 2022 next.